Tuesday 6 January 2009

Southwick Canal

I work up feeling sick with a pounding headache so I quickly aborted my plans to do any survey work. By lunchtime I was feeling a little better so I decided to get some fresh air with a walk along Southwick Canal and then over the lock gates out to the east arm of the harbour. Although very cold (1C) it was brilliantly sunny and clear with views along the coast to Belle Tout and Beachy Head. Southwick Canal was very quiet (there weren't even many gulls around) though a Kingfisher showed briefly in the Lady Bee Marina. Both adult Peregrines were on the power station chimney, one in the nestbox and the other sunning itself out of the wind on the SW face of the chimney. An Oystercatcher and a Turnstone were on the boulders on the seaward side of the east arm and a Little Egret flew W along Southwick Beach into the harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment