Saturday 28 February 2009

Long-eared Owl

Friday 27th February - Having failed in all my previous attempts to see LEOs this year, Gareth and I finally caught up with one today. An after dark spotlighting trip up on to the Downs was rewarded with close views of a LEO hunting over a rough grassy slope next to the road which Gareth was able to pick up in the spotlight.

Earlier in the day I made my late TTV to TQ01W (Storrington). Although not the most exciting tetrad in the county, I took my species total for the two visits to a creditable 48. The highlights today were 2 Red-legged Partridges, Buzzard, Kestrel, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Sky Lark, Marsh Tit, 2 Treecreepers and 3 Nuthatches. A quick look round the Rackham area afterwards was more memorable for butterflies (7 male Brimstones and a Peacock) though I did see Great Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch and a single Siskin.

No comments:

Post a Comment